Secrets To Recovery
What we tend to think about we abhor and eventually become. So what in the world does this have to do with recovery? Everything! Have you ever been so sore that it seems like you’re injured and wonder if you actually are? Chances are that you have overworked yourself and now are suffering the consequences.
In training there’s a time to absolutely dominate your workout as I like to call killmode, but sometimes this can be too much for some so rehabilitation and recovery is needed. I rehab constantly with the workouts we do! Every single day I’m rolling or stretching something. So here are some things to keep in mind before you return to the battlefield.
My Top 5 Recovery Secrets:
5. Too much work - Make sure that you’re not doing too much too soon. There are numerous times where I see too much work with not enough strength built. Lay down the foundation of strength first then go hostile later. If you don’t jack yourself up to begin with, you won’t have to worry too much about rehab so watch the load.
Progress your weights slowly so your body has a chance to catch up. Many systems are stressed when you start lifting so make sure to regress when needed. You will go farther in the end compared to the person who tries to muscle hundreds of pounds of weight around with horrible form. Don’t be that guy!
4. Cool down - One of the best things you can do for yourself is to go through a cool down after a workout. Think of this as putting things back into place. Your wanting the body heal as fast as possible before your next training session, so be sure to roll out and stretch if need be.
Any movement that the human body does requires energy. This energy usage causes a byproduct. That byproduct is lactic acid production which shuts down muscle tissue. You feel this when your muscles burn during a workout. The idea is to flush this stuff out so that’s why it’s important to roll out and stretch after. Shoot get a massage if you want to, that would be even better.
3. Supplements- There are many supplements on the market so be careful when it comes to picking this stuff. Some sups have been found with traces of arsenic and other harmful chemicals so pay close attention.
I use a branch chain amino acids as part of my recovery with hydration pre and post workout. There are times when I feel great and others where I’m not sure if I even benefit from them, but I experiment constantly so we’ll see in time. The best supplement out there is real food that you can pick straight from the ground so you can never go wrong with that approach.
2. Food- what type of food products you choose to put into your mouth has a dramatic effect on your well being and recovery. When training you need to replace your muscles with excellent sources of food. Not too long ago I had an athlete tell me that he was going to grab a burger after his workout! He was serious and I damn near fell on the floor. After all the training and info I gave to this guy he goes and says that. I fixed him up though. He’s good!
For a full break down on what to look for just check out my food rations list. This will give you the main idea on what to look for while training. Getting in shape is easy. The hard part is thinking that way. Many people self sabotage themselves into believing they can’t do it because their current success is minimal. Keep trying and never quit!
1. Stress- This is the number one killer when trying to recover and is often overlooked. It’s overlooked because you don’t know you’re doing it to yourself. I’m not talking about the good stress either. Whenever you have any form of physical or mental pain you are having stressors. As humans we should seriously not have anyof it, but the real deal is that many choose to focus on what’s going wrong instead of going right. It takes no more effort to choose to feel powerful and strong than it does to feel inferior and weak.
Right now you can think of strong and powerful thoughts as well as weak one’s. We must limit all negative beliefs about ourselves and only focus on what we want to become. It won’t happen overnight, but in time it will. If done right you could have the body of your dreams. You can become stronger in all aspects! You can do just damn near anything you want to do if your willing to pay the price. It starts within the mind and then seeks expression outward.
Mental and physical work are both one in the same and not one without the other. The more mentally strong you are the better work you can get done. If you’re stressed or frustrated it’s an indication that we need to refocus the mind on the task at hand. Keep your mind on your work (training) and get strong like kong. Remove all crabs (people who bring you down) and move toward the good stuff. Watch for the too much too soon method of heavy lifting and keep in mind your cool down, supplements, food intake and most important your stress levels for optimal recovery.
These recovery secrets will get you back on track in no time. One way of knowing when to implement them can be the difference between having huge strength gains in the gym and getting hurt and run down. Listen to your body and use these recovery secrets when needed. Remember the number one recovery secret and how to over come it.
Who’s kicking ace and taking names right now? Who really wants to have a great life? Who wants to be the best version of themselves?
Speak up with thoughts or comments!
Your time is NOW!